[time 58] Re: your "Is there a better way than renormalization?" post

Stephen P. King (stephenk1@home.com)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:06:57 -0500

Dear Doug,

        I hope you don't mind that I am forwarding this to our Time list.

Doug Sweetser wrote:

> Hello Stephen:
>
> I sponsored a contest in spr 3 years ago to come up with a favorite
> definition of time. As I thought about the issue, I came to the
> conclusion that it was meaningless to try. Fortunately, a definition of
> spacetime is viable, and I have persuaded the same one since (even if my
> definition was a run-on sentence :-) I have included the result of that
> contest at the end.
>
> I am very operational: my goal is to rebuilt standard equations in
> physics starting from the same clay. My first line of success was to be
> able to solve problems in special relativity. My second was with the
> Maxwell equations, some of the consequences I am only now starting to
> understand (such as gauge symmetry). I must go out and bag general
> relativity. Not an easy one :-)

        Umm, it may be necessary to start from "scratch" on the math... But, on
the other hand I have several friends that are seriously looking into
the quaternion idea and it does appear that the "big brothers"of
quaternions, the octonions, are involved in Local System interactions...

> Since I am so operationally focused, I did not find Kitada's papers very
> engaging. Some parts struck me as inaccurate. Schrodinger first wrote
> down a relativistic wave equation, but it did not agree with the data
> from the non-relativistic hydrogen atom. QM and special relativity are
> completely compatible, honest.

In Local Time theory we are dealing with a different set of initial
assumptions that the usual approach to time. That does tend to make
Hitoshi's papers difficult at first, but patience has its rewards! :) We
agree that QM and SR can be partially reconsiled (Klein-Gordon, Dirac,
QED, etc.), the real problem is with GR!

> > https://members-central.home.net/stephenk1/Outlaw/Outlaw.html
>
> Apparently I am becoming known among "outlaw"'s :-) What has been
> interesting is that I started out being much more radical, but have
> found that my work with quaternions is looking _very_ much like standard
> physics. The differences are subtle and hard to detect. Oh well.

        The same has happened to me. :) As I look over my old notes, I can see
now my thinking has matured... Any new model of physics will by
necessity be able to predict the same experimental results, what makes
it important is that it overcome the old theories shortcomings, predict
new observables and increase the level of understanding of those that
understand the theory.

> Good luck,
> doug
> http://world.com/~sweetser

        You could join our time list:
http://metasci.kitada.com/cgi-bin/md-sub.cgi

        I like this! Could I post it on my web site, with proper credit to you
of course? You could add my definition of time: "Time exists *because*
everything can not happen at once." I have several definitions on my
site...