[time 112] Re: [time 104] Spacetime& consciousness

Stephen P. King (stephenk1@home.com)
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 09:44:04 -0500

Dear Ben,

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> Stephen,

> > Could you elaborate on this, Ben?
>
> See
>
> http://goertzel.org/dynapsyc/1995/GOERTZEL.html

        I like this paper. If I may quote from it: "Consciousness introduces a
random change in the correct prediction algorithm." Peter Wegner's paper
give us a very nice formalism that is, for the most part, in agreement
with your thesis. http://www.cs.brown.edu/~pw/papers/math1.ps By
eliminating the need of "Initiality" and allowing for "on-line"
interactivity and a few other details, he showns that Turing Machines
can be generalized to Interaction Machines. We have a similar situation
here with physics, we can't define an absolute ab initio Cauchy
hypersurface for all possible observers. We seem to have a situation
were physical dynamics that can "take into account information that was
previously not available." This is called "branching time" in Computer
Science.

Later,

Stephen