[time 126] Re: [time 109] Spacetime& consciousness

Stephen P. King (stephenk1@home.com)
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 19:16:28 -0500

Ben,

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> At 07:09 PM 4/3/99 +0900, Hitoshi Kitada wrote:
> >Dear Ben,
> >
> >I have read GOERTZEL.html It is most impressive paper that I have read
> >recently.
>
> thanks!
>
> >I understand why you showed interest in my formulation: wholes vs. parts, when
> >seeing the part:
> >
> >> Now neuropsychologists have shown that the role of consciousness
> >> in perception and cognition is precisely that of grouping, of forming
> >wholes.
>
> Yes, precisely....
>
> I have an intuition that
>
> 1) there is a homomorphism of some type between the structure of the
> perceiving mind
> and the structure of the physical world

        Yes, it is called an "infomorphism" cf. : pg.29:
http://www.cs.brown.edu/~pw/papers/math1.ps and pg. 72 of Information
Flow (http://www.phil.indiana.edu/~barwise/kjbbooks.html). I have been
making noise about this for a long time! :) Pratt calls it a
residuation....

> 2) this mapping is crucial to the loop by which objective reality is
> created as the sum
> (Feynman sum?) of the subjective realities of the minds within it

        Yes, there is a feedback like feature! :) Like Sarfatti's "back action"
THe key is to realize that logical implication is, directionwise, the
reverse of the temporal progression of a physical world. (there is no
"knowable" unique physical world that is finite and logically complete,
proof by Goedel.)

> 3) understanding this loop is going to be the key point to the next
> revolution in physics,
> & science as a whole

        Got that right! :)

> Because of this I am fascinated by specific mappings between physics &
> psychology
>
> The parallel that I see between your physics and my psychology is an
> example of this,
> and possibly an important one.
>
> The analogy suggested is not a new one...
>
> quantum : classical
> unconscious : conscious

        :)

> People have proposed this in the context of quantum computing and the
> quantum brain
> before, but in a purely formal way without any deep underpinning. Now we
> are beginning to
> see a real logical underpinning for this analogy.
>
> But, there's a long way to go ;)
>
> ben
Onward to the Unknown!

Stephen