[time 129] Re: [time 128] On Pratt's Duality

Stephen P. King (stephenk1@home.com)
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 23:58:36 -0500

Dear Hitoshi,

        I don't think that he knows Pratt's work, but...

page 33.

"An M-coordinate-independent definition of 'covariant vectors'... can be
obtained by introducing the *cotangent space* T_x^*M above x as the
algebraic dual of T_xM. -i.e.as consisting of real-valued linear
functionals w over T_xM. An equivalent definition of cotangent space can
also be given in terms of the family of all smooth real-valued functions
defined on some neighborhood N_x of x, which forms the basis of the
definition (1.5), by introducing for each element f in that family the
following linear maps:

        df: X |-> Xf \element R^1, X \element T_xM. (1.8)"

Page 63. Note 11
"Note that, in the case that g is a matrix that acts by matrix
multiplication on the elements of R^n, for its action from the
rightthose elements have to be viewed as one-row matrices, whereas for
its action on the left they have to be viewed as one-column matrices, so
that one mode of such action can be related to the other by taking the
transposes of the matrices in question."

        These properties are consistent with a Chu space. I may have gotten a
bit exited and missed something... :) There is much to cover and I am a
bit tired. :)

Later,

Stephen