[time 338] Re: [time 335] Re: [time 331] Re: [time 327] Re: [time 326] Re: [time 325] Re: Fisherinformation andrelativity

Fri, 21 May 1999 07:41:31 +0300 (EET DST)

Dear Hitoshi,

thank you for explanation. I finally understood the decomposition.

There seems however to be a potential paradox in case of free Maxwell
equations. Empty space Maxwell action contains only the I term. Which
would say that
J, which is the total information contained by the state vanishes. It
is not clear whether I, which is the available information and obviously
smaller than J, vanishes or is even non-negative. For planewave
solutions of Maxwell action action density vanishes identifically but what
happens in case general solution which is superposition of Fourier
components representing planewaves? Yes, action vanishes a a sum over
contributions over indidividual planewaves so that also I vanishes.
Empty space Maxwell field contains no information and their is no
information available.

If one considers (in absence of external sources) functional integral
approach, one functionally integrates
over all field configurations, also those which are do satisfy Maxwell
equations. Now J is always zero but I need not vanish: available
information can be larger than total information! Rather peculiar
situation!

Still one possible weak point. J represents the interaction energy of
radiation field with external current and need not be positive definite:
if J is non-negative, one can change the sign of charges and J changes
sign. What does it mean the information contained by system is negative?

One could understand the vanishing of J as expressing the absense of
coupling to observer represented by external currents: in this sense
Frieden's picture makes sense. Situation is however different from
Klein-Gordon for which mass term represents J (as far as I understood
correctly). On basis of Maxwell action one might guess that
in case of General Relativity the coupling to energy momentum tensor
of matter, or actually the action of matter would represent J whereas
curvatures scalar would represent I.

[My earlier picture about I-J decomposition was wrong: there are no
problems covariance.]

MP