[time 586] Re: [time 543] Many-Worlds Communication

WDEshleman@aol.com
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:30:02 EDT

In a message dated 8/16/99 12:39:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
matpitka@pcu.helsinki.fi writes:

> I have been accustomed to think that parallel worlds are absolutely
> unable to communicate with each other. I mean parallel as worlds in
> quantum superpositions (spacetime surfaces in TGD). There is second type
> of parallelity corresponding to tensor product and in this case
> communication is possible.
>

> I cannot comment anything about product representations of Lorentz
> factors since I could not get to the page
> were the material about Lorentz factors is.

Matti,
Here is the address... http://members.tripod.com/~EshlemanW/ , it should be
working now. I am sorry to have taken so long to reply.

As to MWs communication, here is what is on the FAQ linked at my site.

        Q27
        Is physics linear?
        Could we ever communicate with the other worlds?
        Why do I only ever experience one world?
        Why am I not aware of the world (and myself) splitting?
        According to our present knowledge of physics whilst it is possible
        detect the presence of other nearby worlds, through the existence of
        interference effects, it is impossible travel to or communicate with
        them. Mathematically this corresponds to an empirically verified
        property of all quantum theories called linearity. Linearity implies
        that the worlds can interfere with each other with respect to an
        external, unsplit, observer or system but the interfering worlds
can't
        influence each other in the sense that an experimenter in one of the
        worlds can arrange to communicate with their own, already split-off,
        quantum copies in other worlds.
        Specifically, the wave equation is linear, with respect to the
        wavefunction or state vector, which means that given any two
solutions
        of the wavefunction, with identical boundary conditions, then any
linear
        combination of the solutions is another solution. Since each
component
        of a linear solution evolves with complete indifference as to the
        presence or absence of the other terms/solutions then we can conclude
        that no experiment in one world can have any effect on another
        experiment in another world. Hence no communication is possible
between
        quantum worlds. (This type of linearity mustn't be confused with the
        evident non-linearity of the equations with respect to the fields.)
        Non communication between the splitting Everett-worlds also explains
why
        we are not aware of any splitting process, since such awareness needs
        communication between worlds. To be aware of the world splitting you
        would have to be receiving sensory information from, and thereby
effect
        by the reverse process, more than one world. This would enable
        communication between worlds, which is forbidden by linearity. Ergo,
we
        are not aware of any splitting precisely because we are split into
        non-interfering copies along with the rest of the world.
        See also "Is linearity exact?"

As to my speculation that the Lorentz factor is a product of many small
contributions from the ensemble associated only with each photon, I am
led to the consideration that the Lorentz factor could be a detection of
objects
in other worlds in the same manner as the interference pattern is a detection
of the worlds themselves. To me, detection is communication, but there is
a subtle distinction here. Perhaps, if some technician were to find a
modulation
present in an interference pattern, communication would be possible. Or,
perhaps the multiple pattern is the modulation needed to communicate.
To quote Stephen, " am I making sense?"

Sincerely,
Bill