[time 641] Re: [time 639] Re: [time 638] Re: [time 637] Fwd: Paul Marmet reply #3

Hitoshi Kitada (hitoshi@kitada.com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:18:07 +0900

Dear Matti,

Matti Pitkanen <matpitka@pcu.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Hitoshi Kitada wrote:
>
> > Dear Bill and All,

This situation quite resembles that at the age of Galileo when he received
rejections from Church and authorities at the age. Maybe we are confronted
with the same situation as his, while the problem now is Galilei's attitude
toward nature. Once a view is fixed, the west seems to want to keep it
forever: The law of inertia is correct with the western society.

To the degree that very few academic persons
> see anything wrong with it. Even I have gradually accepted this as
> self-evident as law of gravitation.

Then why are you questioning physics? If you have accepted it, it seems that
you need not pursue it further as you have been doing.

What this means that people with
> new ideas who are full of enthusiasism and vigour have no hope of
> getting financial support. I have again and again heard to comment 'all is
> done' from my particle physics colleagues.

My view is nothing has been done. Just what the west did is to have found the
way to control quite a small part of the outside. If it wants to pursue nature
to its depth, it needs to be modest and should not be content with its
achievements.

Another thing is that the west is very unconscious about the inisde world.
They are content with their power/ability of controlling the outside. But
there is a world which should not be controlled but should be understood as it
is. Controlling should not be the final goal. It gives just self-approval. The
final goal of science should have been the understanding of ourselves, not as
a materialistic understanding.

But this seems not the object of science as has been seen from the western
activities these hundreds years. This is the reason that I propose the study
of meta-science that means the "after science."

   It is my luck
> that I am stubborn theoretician with ability to bear loneliness
> and insulation. It would be however nice to have some people with whom to
> discuss ideas face to face(;-).
>

> > In my country, Japan, also there might be a possibility that something
like
> > that might happen in the future due to the INFLUENCE of such recent state
of
> > US. But for the time being, such a possibility seems small because physics
is
> > not ours, not a part of our culture. Just it is a part of our education
> > necessary to pass some examinations and to become professors of
universities.
> > For the western people, it might be that physics is a sort of religion,
> > hearing what treatment Paul had received from the head of the physics
> > department: i.e. the head told him
>

> > > that I cannot
> > > keep questioning the fundamental principles of physics. They say that
it
> > > is wrong to do that. Everything is already known. The director told
me
> > > that I cannot discuss that subject with students.
> >
> > This means that the head ordered Paul NOT to think about physics. The head
> > told him "Just believe physics." If physics is a thing to believe, there
is no
> > need to open universities nor to hold any conferences, symposiums, and so
on.

> > I think the problem of the today's physics lies in the starting points
that
> > Descartes, Newton, Galileo, etc. had set several hundreds years ago. We
have
> > been arguing in this list about those subjects with considering the
relations
> > of them with today's physics context. What is necessary are such
activities,
> > NOT to believe in today's physics without asking any questions blindly.
>
> Materialistic science is the religion of west.

Is this religion on the same level of Christianism? I feel some common between
the materialistic science as a religion and the Christianism that the
materialism seems to deny. The situation looks like that the west is just
oscillating like a pendulum between the two extremities. I see this also in
your discussions of the competion between Body and Mind in [time 573]. You
look it as a competion, not a collaboration. The west alwasy ses things as
struggling against the opponents. Why does the west see things like that. We,
Asians, see things as collaborating/complementing each other, never see them
competing.

> Best,
> MP

Best wishes,