[time 831] Re: [time 830] Re: Does a fundamental time exist in GR and QM? The thinking of others...

Wed, 29 Sep 1999 07:47:26 +0300 (EET DST)

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Stephen Paul King wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >>_I_ see this as
> >>fundamental but I expect you are, however, making reference to much more
> >>complicated mathematical expressions, correct?
> >
> >In fact it's the notion of "experience" which is the really complicated
> >thing, not the mathematical expressions that Rovelli is referring to.
> >Mathematics deals only with things that are so simple that they can
> >be described with utter precision - so precisely that even a computer
> >can deal with them. Most things - like "experience" - are too complicated
> >to be described in this way (at least for now). These things may seem
> >simple, because we are familiar with them, but as soon as you try to
> >describe them in a completely precise way - e.g., to write a computer
> >program that can "experience" - the crushing weight of their complexity
> >is made apparent. What many people take to be the complexity of
> >mathematics is really just the difficulty of learning unfamiliar
> >concepts at a high level of precision, no matter how simple they are.
> >
> >>At the simple level, heck, maybe mine is just a private notion, I see
> >>this "problem with time" as intimately wound into the limited scope of
> >>contemporary physics. By NOT accomodating ~consciousness~ [or whatever
> >>you want to call it], all the various descriptions and theories in
> >>physics make _perfect sense_ for as far as they can go. Yet, when that
> >>boundary is breached and one notes that the entire system present us
> >>with experience, not time, imo some of the temporal equations and
> >>relationships take on a much more "grossly approximate" hue.
> >
> >Hmm. I'll just say this: there are lots of mysterious things
> >about time, but in quantum gravity, the "problem of time"
> >is a very specific technical problem, namely: how to recover a
> >theory in which time evolution is described by a 1-parameter
> >unitary group as a limiting case of a theory without a Hamiltonian,
> >but merely a Hamiltonian constraint. You'll notice that I'm
> >throwing around a lot of technical jargon here! I'll give a
> >somewhat more simplified description below, but right now I'm
> >trying to make a particular unhappy point: I want to make it
> >clear that the "problem of time" in quantum gravity can only be
> >understood after one has spent a while seriously studying physics.
> >It is not the sort of problem that can be translated into everyday
> >terms without mangling it almost beyond recognition. It *does*
> >have a philosophical aspect to it that can be explained without
> >any physics jargon, and it's very important to understand this
> >aspect - to "see through all the clutter of technicalities" - but
> >unless one *also* understands the technical aspects, one can't
> >see that it is a very precise problem, possibly with a very
> >precise solution - one is at best dealing with a caricature of
> >the problem. In particular, one may be misled into thinking
> >that "consciousness" or "experience" play an important role
> >in this problem. I'm pretty sure they don't!

His seems to be typical attitude of a theoretician confined
into the bounds of GRT. There is intellectually extremely challenging
problem but in the narrow confies of GRT it reduces to
a purely technical problem and so no progress occurs. Same
is the situation in neutrino physics. People are toying with same
un-succesful attempts to solve solar neutrino anomaly
and other anomalies and refuse to jump out of a system.

By the way, Feynmann has written some rather nasty comments about these
General Relativists travelling to they conferences and meetingsand
compared them to worms doomed to creep along the surface of apple.