[time 834] RE: [time 832] RE: [time 825] Chu spaces, causality, local systems... quantum laws of form? ...

Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:21:52 -0400

> I would be glad to explain more of what I mean by that, but first
> I request
> that you explain the process of your reflection on Hitoshi's ideas which
> led you to conclude that this particular concern was the one that
> needed to
> be expressed.

On a mathematical level, it seems to me that Hitoshi's theory correctly
unifies
plain vanilla quantum mechanics and general relativity. this is very
exciting.

however, the real interaction between QM and GR is only going to happen at
very high
energies, at which point you need to deal with elementary particle physics
beyond basic
QM. So his theory does not apply to the instances where QM and GR could
plausibly be
observed to interact.... E.g., how do you deal with black hole
thermodynamics in his
theory -- this is something which involves quantum field theory (virtual
pair creation)
and GR together.

Also, a lot of my thinking about unified physics has been algebraically
focused, looking at the algebras underlying chromodynamics & QM and the
algebras underlying
relativity. I am curious how Hitoshi's theory works out in this case. If
we have one
algebra for local systems, how does its multiplication table "smooth out" to
yield the
GR algebra for global systems?

ben