[time 850] RE: [time 849] Another expresion of my weird idea:

Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 22:37:06 -0400

hi,

> my idea that Local Systems interact
> via bisimulation:

I'm trying to get at the intuition underlying this idea...

When A and B interact, this is somehow because A is simulating B and B is
simulating A

Now, when you and I interact, are we simulating each other?

In a sense we are: I have a model of you in my mind, you have a model of me
in your mind.
We are simulating each other as part of the process of intelligent
conversation. These are very
rough and partial simulations.

But this is because we are intelligent systems... involved in what Buber
would call an I-You interaction,
in which the other participant is treated as a mind/universe in itself
rather than as a rigid object, an It,
as in an I-It interaction...

When one LS A interacts with another LS B, the particles in B are linked
with the particles in A via
quantum nonlocality. Thus in a sense B does contain an image of A in
itself: its own state can only be
fully understood by including an understanding of A's state. Quantum
systems interacting therefore seem to
use this I-You mentality, of approximate bisimulation.

It's not really bisimulation though: It's not that A is being a simulation
of B, or B is being a simulation
of A; it's that each of them, in some sense, is ~containing~ a simulation of
the other. And an approximate,
lossy simulation at that.

Hitoshi's theory, however, treats the interaction of LS's classically --
this is how GR comes out.
The bisimulative, I-You aspects of the interaction occur only when you
consider the two LS's as fusing into
a larger, inclusive LS. These disappear when you consider the interaction
as classical. classical interactions
are I-It and do not involve this kind of inclusion.

Ben