[time 906] Re: [time 902] IBM TeX plugin

Matti Pitkanen (matpitka@pcu.helsinki.fi)
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 20:36:30 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Lancelot Fletcher wrote:

> Hitoshi wrote:
> > Please post it
> > to this list
> > in LaTeX format. Members can have LaTeX readers owing to
> > Stephen's search :-):
> > > From: "Stephen P. King" <stephenk1@home.com>
> > > Dear Matti et al,
> > >
> > > Just to let you know, there is a plug-in for Netscape and MS Explorer
> > > available to view LaTeX and Tex at:
> > > http://www.software.ibm.com/network/techexplorer/downloads/
> I want to thank you for reminding me of this, and I also thank Stephen for
> finding it. I have just installed the TechExplorer plugin. It installs
> more or less automatically and also seems to work automatically.
> This leaves me with only one request of Matti and others who compose TeX or
> LaTeX documents: Instead of including such documents as part of the
> message text, it would be easier for those who are using this plugin if you
> would save them as separate files with the extension .tex or .latex (or
> .ltx), and then send it as an attached file. That way the TeX file can be
> opened directly by the browser plugin, without requiring the recipient to
> save part of the message text into a separate file with the correct
> extension.

I actually I pondered about it when sending
the file. I am sitting at home and I thought that it requires less
time to just glue the file to email rather than sending it first by
ftp and then attaching. It did not: I lost my temper
after having accidentally glued whole long file into Cc-line! I try to
remember in future that attachment works better.

> Lance Fletcher, President
> The Free Lance Academy Foundation
> http://www.freelance-academy.org
> lance@interactive.net
> PS. Another question just occurred to me: What needs to be done so that
> your comments interpolated into a LaTeX document can be read by the
> TechExplorer plugin?

Sorry. I am not sure whether I understand the question. Do you mean
these discussions as such? Latex documents should
be readable as such. You probably mean emails: it would require
a hard work to develop these sketchy formulas full of
errors to latex format.

I am used to write latex files in my PC. PCTex32. One
can translate the code to text and look it simultaneously while
editing it using second program.