[time 979] RE: [time 978] a fundamental question on QM time

Koichiro Matsuno (kmatsuno@vos.nagaokaut.ac.jp)
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 10:50:49 +0900

Dear Folks:

   Stephen King and Hitoshi Kitada have let me know this mailing list.
Although I am a novice here, the point Hitoshi just raised has intrigued me
for long.

>In actuality what one is able to
>observe is scattering process, but not the eigenstates as the final
>states of the process.

   Perhaps, we may need to pay some attention to a linguistic prerequisite
to the issue of dynamics, whether it is classical or quantal. Any dynamics
in its making is in the present progressive mode. Then, it has been
transformed into the past progressive mode, some of which has consistently
been frozen into the completed record in the perfect tense. The point here
is that there is always some leftover which cannot be frozen in the record
in the completed perfect mode. The leftover constantly serves as an impetus
for moving the subsequent progressive mode. Strangely enough, however, both
CM and QM start from the categorical statements made in the present tense,
and the present progressive is simply taken to be a derivative from the
present tense there.

   CM and QM anchored at the present tense necessarily have to presume the
presence of globally synchronous time out of the blue, otherwise no
categorical statements to be made in the present tense. CM is completely
consistent at least conceptually in dismissing whatever in the progressive
mode, though not very well founded empirically. In contrast, QM is quite
ambivalent in that it has already assumed the role of the present
progressive mode even unwittingly, especially in the form of operations or
operators. This must be a source of headaches. QM as we know of it today
seems to be pretty schizophrenic in getting time and dynamics from both the
present and the present progressive tense rather in a hodgepodge manner.
Hitoshi's emphasis on scattering process seems to me an appraisal of time as
a derivative from the present progressive tense instead of from the present,
in which the non-frozen leftover from the preceding progressive mode is
constantly driving the succeeding one. I might have muddied the waters a
bit.

   Cheers,
   Koichiro Matsuno