[time 991] Re: [time 988] Communications in four-dimensional society

Matti Pitkänen (matpitka@pcu.helsinki.fi)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:52:49 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Paul King <stephenk1@home.com>
To: Matti Pitkänen <matpitka@pcu.helsinki.fi>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 1999 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: [time 988] Communications in four-dimensional society

> Dear Matti,
>
> I will be reading this carerfully and responding as soon as possible,
> but meanwhile, would you have a comment on this paper:
> http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/9902037 ?
>
> Later,
>
> Stephen

I read the paper. To my humble opinion the idea was one of
those idea which usually come and go in five minutes.

The program was to reduce quantum physics understood as four-dimensional
Dirac equation to classical physics in the following manner.

a) Replace time with 3-dimensional time.

b) The second part of idea was that the ability of quantum particle
to exist in several positions simultaneously is equivalent with
geometric existence at several points simultaneously. This is
to me complete misunderstanding of quantum mechanical
superposition principle.

c) This idea was attempted to realize in terms of 3-dimensional time.
  Assume that the particle's "position" is intersection of its orbit in
6-dimensional
space with some 3-dimensional submanifold of this 6-dimensional space.
 If the orbit intersects 3-space in several points this corresponds
to Schrodinger amplitude which is simultaneously vanishing in
these points. The idea fails: orbit should intersect
*all* points of 3-space! One should have also measure for the
probability of intersection.

d) The idea about several intersection points meets also difficulties.
 There was no receipe for how to choose this 3-dimensional submanifold.
Usually the intersection of orbit of particle in 6-dpsace is empty generic
3-sub-manifold.
Even if one restricts the consideration to the case that intersection
contains
at least one point, it is extremely unpprobable that it contains more than
one point.
This follows from simple topological rule: n-dimensional and 1-dimensional
surfaces
have nonvanishing intersection in D-dimensional manifold for D<=n+1
but not for D>n+1.

e) There was also an extremely messy argument claiming that
solutions of Dirac equation in 4 dimensions correspond to
points of this 6-dimensional manifold. Consideration
was restricted to planewave solutions
of Dirac equation and this is of course not enough.
Arbitrary superposition of planewaves should be
representable in this manner and this would require
infinite-dimensional space since the space of
square integrable solutions of Dirac equation
is infinite-dimensional.

With Best Regards,
Matti Pitkanen