[time 1010] Re: [time 1009] [Fwd: Simpson's Paradox and Quantum Entanglement]

I.Vecchi (vecchi@weirdtech.com)
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 10:15:10 +0100

Stephen Paul King wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Robert Fung is making some great points!
>
> Later,
>
> Stephen
>
> ... entanglement is an additional problem when you consider
> not just the state-space of a single particle, but the
> state space of two particles that interacted and so their
> PD's and PDF's have some memory of that event as if they
> were two bell's (or impulse response functions[1]) that
> once clanged together and when separated, they maintained
> a "memory" of that event in their separate sets of PDs and PDFs.
> Those separate memorys are what allow the two particles
> to be non-locally correlated, or "entangled".
>
> Those memories however tend fade away (decohere) after a while.
> But they should be maintainable, by a _local_ resonant
> communications between the entangled particles.
>
> Of what use that may be to quantum cryptography &c.,
> I am not concerned with, as I think there are more significant
> implications than that.

Decoherence is indeed a slippery concept, often used in an improper way.
The above statement about "fading memories" is in my opinion confusing.
The point is that decoherence does not destroy long-range quantum
superpositions. Decoherence just limits the ability of an observer
subject to the second principle of thermodynamics to keep track of such
superpositions.

Best regards,

tito