[time 1011] Re: [time 1010] Re: [time 1009] [Fwd: Simpson's Paradox and Quantum Entanglement]

Matti Pitkänen (matpitka@pcu.helsinki.fi)
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 12:05:36 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: I.Vecchi <vecchi@weirdtech.com>
To: Stephen Paul King <stephenk1@home.com>
Cc: Time List <time@kitada.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 1999 11:15 AM
Subject: [time 1010] Re: [time 1009] [Fwd: Simpson's Paradox and Quantum
Entanglement]

> Stephen Paul King wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Robert Fung is making some great points!
> >
> > Later,
> >
> > Stephen
> >
> > ... entanglement is an additional problem when you consider
> > not just the state-space of a single particle, but the
> > state space of two particles that interacted and so their
> > PD's and PDF's have some memory of that event as if they
> > were two bell's (or impulse response functions[1]) that
> > once clanged together and when separated, they maintained
> > a "memory" of that event in their separate sets of PDs and PDFs.
> > Those separate memorys are what allow the two particles
> > to be non-locally correlated, or "entangled".
> >
> > Those memories however tend fade away (decohere) after a while.
> > But they should be maintainable, by a _local_ resonant
> > communications between the entangled particles.
> >
> > Of what use that may be to quantum cryptography &c.,
> > I am not concerned with, as I think there are more significant
> > implications than that.
> >

> Decoherence is indeed a slippery concept, often used in an improper way.
> The above statement about "fading memories" is in my opinion confusing.
> The point is that decoherence does not destroy long-range quantum
> superpositions. Decoherence just limits the ability of an observer
> subject to the second principle of thermodynamics to keep track of such
> superpositions.

One manner to see decoherence is as a generation of entanglement! Suppose
that initial subsystem is un-entangled and thus behaves like its
own sub-Universe/particle/coherent unit/ "self". This state does not
however last for
long: in each quantum jump Psi_i-->UPsi_i-->Psi_f, U being "time evolution"
operator corresponding to S-matrix entanglement is generated. Thus
subsystem ceases to be unentangeled/loses its "self"/ falls in unconscious
state/subsystem does not anymore behave as single coherent unit/particle.
 I would call tend to call this loss of consciousness as decoherence.

In standard physics even slightests entanglement would destroy self. In TGD
framework, the definition of p-adic entanglement involves unique pinary
cutoff and
is vanishing when real entanglement is below a unique threshold
characterized
by threshold entanglement entropy. Thus selves can exist in TGD universe.