[time 1078] Re: [time 1077] Re: [time 1076] p-Adic evolution, Cambrian explosion, emergence of vertebrates, modular structure of cortex

Stephen Paul King (stephenk1@home.com)
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 10:05:48 -0500

Dear Matti,

Matti Pitkänen wrote:

> [...]

        Umm, this would imply that the "message" in the book/movie Contact is
not improbable! One question I have is regarding the means to relate
primes with binary bits. It seems that most people assume that any
message will be given in the form of a binary string. Would there be a
language that is "3-dimensional" or "sheet-like" as opposed to the
1-dimensional "string"?

> By the way, the message I sent contained the usual mistakes characteric for
> the
> first great confusiasism: in this state of mind one should not perform
> numerical
> estimates. Amusingly, I looked old text written for 6-7 years ago and
> found that I had already then made identification of p-adic length scales
> in brain length scales in much more precise manner! I am getting old!

        Maybe it is just the enthusiasm and joy that such realizations bring.
:-)

> The only new elements were the idea of coupling the length
> scales with breakthroughs in evolution and the observation about Cambrian
> evolution and possible explanation for the emergence of verterbrates.
>
> What is also important that the length scale range relevant to brain
> contains *incredibly many twin length scales* L(k) for which k and k+2 two
> are both powers of prime. These length scales differ by factor 2.
> With the exception of ***single prime*** all brainy k:s belong to
> twins! Incredible. Twin length scale makes possible self uniting differing
> views of two subselves: this is nothing but hardware for dialectics!

        Umm, this resembles my duality picture. :-) Hardware vs Software...

> List of twins:
>
> DNA strands and helix.
>
> Lipid layers of cell membrane and cell membrane.
>
> Cell layer and epithelial sheet.
>
> [Orientation columns correspond the only prime without twin in brain length
> scales!]
>
> Ocular dominance columns for right and left eye and the pair formed by them.
> Actually special case of similar structures associated with all sense.
>
> Structures of size 1 cm which should combine to form structure of size 2 cm
> which I cannot identify due to my miserable knowledge about neuroanatomy.
> Brain halves!

        Perhaps the work of Edelman would be helpful:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-2865956-9281866

> After this comes a HUGE gap in the distribution of twin primes. Next
> pair corresponds to length scale of order 3 kilometers!!

        Have you read about the truffle fungi that have been found under
forests? They, if I remember correctly, where within this size. The size
of such organisms would suggest the existence of creatures like that
described by Fred Hoyle in his book The Black Cloud:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0899683444/qid=944060465/sr=1-1/002-2865956-9281866

> I attach a latex file which summarizes the recent view
> about p-adic subneural and neural evolution at level
> of length scales.
>
> MP

> Name: twins.tex
> twins.tex Type: IBM techexplorer TeX files (application/x-tex)
> Encoding: quoted-printable

Later,

Stephen