[time 106] Re: [time 92] Entanglement

ca314159 (ca314159@bestweb.net)
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 21:01:36 -0800

Matti, there's a bit more at the end of this:
Matti Pitkanen wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, ca314159 wrote:
>
> > Matti Pitkanen wrote:

> > > My viewpoint is that the state of cat can be in principle measured and if
> > > measurement answers to the question 'Dead or alive?' measurement means
> > > quantum jump leading to state 'dead' or 'alive'. Moment of
> > > consciousness is in TGD framework nothing but quantum measurement. Note
> > > also that Schrodinger cat paradox disappears. In entangled states there is
> > > no consciousness: when quantum jumps giving information about the state
> > > of cat happens, it leads to dead or alive state: moment of consciousness
> > > makes world classical.
> >
> > This relates to Jung's "The Transcendental Function".
> > By your definition of consciousness, the wavefunction
> > collapse is a movement from the purely subjective
> > wavefunction[s] of possibilities into the objective (conscious)
> > world where only one of those possibilities (states) remains.
> > The other possibilities were "objectively not real",
> > but because of the lack of determinism they had to be in
> > the origin wavefunction before collapse; just as I would
> > have a wavefunction of two components for a coin in motion
> > for the two possible states of the one event "landing" and
> > that wavefunction collapses into only one state when the
> > coin "lands" heads or tails.
> > While the coin is "in motion" the two possibilities must be
> > included.
> > For Jung's transcendental function, the unconscious mind
> > holds such wavefunctions associatively (in a frequency-space)
> > which sometimes "collapse" into a peak in frequency-space
> > at which time they become noticeable to the "conscious" if the
> > peak is sufficiently strong in intensity.

> > > The separation of wave functions is possible when they are unentangled
> > > with states of measuring instrument which in turn are entangled with
> > > states of brain.
> >
> > Here the word "entangled" seems to be an overused term, what Marshall
> > McLuhan would call a "Reversal" or over-amplification of an idea.
> > It is not a "quantum" concept that exists only in quantum theory.
> >
> > Wavefunctions are an abstract model of what is happening when
> > we don't know what is happening (not yet measured) It includes
> > all the possibilities but selects only one of them on measurement.
> > To use the term "entanglement" shrouds what is happening as in a
> > high-level computer language when we really want to be talking
> > in machine code.
>
> Here I disagree. I believe that wavefunctions, and in TGD configuration
> space spinor fields, are real: they are the objective realities, not only
> representations of realities: representation of reality is the reality
> itself and quantum jumps occur between these realities and give conscious
> information about the realities. Mathematics becomes conscious because
> quantum jumps between these representations/ideas/... are possible: no
> Cartesian separation into reality and its representation anymore(;-).
> [...]

Matti,

   I think you've in part misunderstood me here (and I don't blame you,
   the language here is tricky). I do not mean "machine code" in terms
   of bits but as "a language that is most suited to describe physical
   actions". The word "entanglement" does not fit this criteria. It is
   not specific enough to contain both physical superpositions and
   non-physical superpositions (wavefunctions) with enough distinction.

   I agree with you in a certain sense, that wavefunctions are physical,
   when a coin is in the air flipping, the two physical possibilites (states)
   that exist for the event: "landing", are physically "guided" by the physical
   circumstances, such as whether the coin is "loaded" or not.

   And so they seem to interefere as you mention. But as the coin example
   and makes clear is that you can never measure this without destroying the
   "intereference" so to that extent they are not physical because the effect
   of "loading" on the coin is defined *probabilistically* and this is not
   a physical representation. That's because we gave up trying to
   deterministically model such complex phenomena like computing the
   gravitational effect on the loaded coin's sides. When we gave up such
   determinism we used an abstraction of interfering probability waves
   and though they interfere abstractly you cannot measure that interference
   without destroying it. The probability waves are abstract but they
   represent real physical effects while the coin is in flight.

   ** But one of the best reasons of why probability waves are not real
   is that they represent the best information we have of what we think is
   happening. And as a probability theorist once said:

     "Even then, we can always lie."

   That I hope clinches this arguement on the absense of physical reality in
   the wavefunctions themselves.

--

http://www.bestweb.net/~ca314159/