[time 360] Re: [time 358] memes

Thu, 27 May 1999 20:28:46 +0300 (EET DST)

Libet's experiments are crucial for consciousness theorizing.
The straightforward interpretation is that materialists are right.
Our volition is illusion.

In TGD framework the situation is however different. Quantum jumps
occur between quantum *histories*. Old quantum history is replaced
with a new one. Most importantly, also the *past* of quantum history
is changed. Libet's experiments seem to suggest that the
time interval in which past changes considerably is of
order one second.

There are several experiments, which are difficult to explain in
the conventional picture about time. Korhuber's and Libet's experiments
about passive and active aspects of consciousness and Radin-Bierman
experiments. I have myself suggested also new kind of experiment ('Tribar
effect') testing quantum jump between quantum histories concept.

See chapters 'Matter, Mind, Quantum' and 'The problem of
psychological time' at

http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/~matpitka/cbook.html.

There is also rather recent posting in qmind archives about
possible tests of TGD inspired theory of consciousness.

I agree with the idea that self as continuous stream of
consciousness is basically illusion since there are only moments of
consciousness (in my approach). The sequence of passive quantum jumps
following state function reduction would come closest to the continuous
stream of consciousness idea since subsystem would participate in
subsequence quantum jumps.

Cognitive spacetime sheets could be memes, metalife: replicating and
competing for lebensraum (hopefully not killing each other, however(;-)).

MP