[time 436] Re: [time 434] Re: [time 406] Dissipation

WDEshleman@aol.com
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 19:34:32 EDT

> On Wed, 7 Jul 1999 WDEshleman@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Time Group,
> >
> > This, my first post, was inspired by the discussion of "dissipation". I
> > enjoyed reading a great many posts after being away from my computer for
>
> > time.
> >
> > My question is: Since Einstein tells us that all of the orbits around
our

> > Sun loose about 28 kilometers (6*pi*G*M/c^2) of orbit per orbit due to
GR,

> > then could this loss of length be interpreted as "dissipation" of
orbital
> > angular momentum.
>
> I am not sure what you mean with the effect the loss of
> orbit... Mass point in Schwartscildt metric has stationary orbit. (Mati)

Mati,

The loss to which I refer causes Mercury's perihelion to advance, but is
present in all of the orbits around our Sun. I don't fully grasp why the
entire orbit does not decay except that it is relativistic and makes the
orbit itself orbit. Thus my question.

Calculations have indicated to me that near a black hole, the advance can be
the entire orbit.

Sincerely,

Bill Eshleman
http://members.tripod.com/EshlemanW/