[time 569] Re: [time 566] Re: [time 565] Rational vs. Synthetic (?) modes

Hitoshi Kitada (hitoshi@kitada.com)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 02:47:33 +0900

Dear Matti and Stephen,

Matti Pitkanen wrote:

>> Have you ever considered the reason why "only the rational mode
is"
>> thought as "the desired one" yet?
>

> Difficult question. It seems that these two modes are competing.
> Perhaps this is good for survival of self containing both kinds
> of subselves. Perhaps Eastern-Western division is to certain
degree
> good for mankind also.
>
> One reason for the 'desired oneness' of rational mode is that
the
> rational mode dominates in recent society. It is very difficult to
> take seriously even the possibility of different mode of self
unless one
> experiences it personally. Usually this occurs completely
spontaneously:
> for individualistic 'Westener' the idea about 'guru' is very
> difficult to accept. The tragedy is that people doing science are
by
> definition in rational mode in professional life= often entire
life (my
> personal dream is to stop thinking when I am fifty and fall into a
state
> of whole-body consciousness for the rest of my life(;-)).

I am already more than fifty, and maybe in "a state of whole-body
consciousness";-)

Apart from personal things, it is easy to say that these two modes
are complementary, but the point is balance. Remind what the biased
dominance of rationalism brought. Recall what Columbus and
successors brought into American continent, and what misery happened
in Australia. Maybe the westerners think them as triumphs of ratio
and they brought civilization into poor American Indians and
Aborigines. But both races had been almost terminated. Do you think
these justice? If the western would continue to keep biased emphasis
on ratio, it would bring further violence and destructions. Bias to
either modes would not work good for our future in both physical and
mental aspects.

Stephen P. King wrote:

> Dear Hitoshi and Matti,
>
> Perhaps the two modes are "complementary", in that a "complete"
> understanding is impossible to realize within only one mode, and
it is
> impossible to "be" in both modes simultaneously. Rudy Rucker
discusses
> these modes and this complementarity, it is not new...
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> Stephen

Best wishes,
Hitoshi