[time 624] Re: [time 621] Winding Space. Space-time sheets

Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:27:24 +0300 (EET DST)

When this book is published?

By the way, 8-dimensional imbedding space is of maximal dimension in the
sense that only in this dimension two 4-surfaces in general intersect
in point just as two curves in plane intersect generalically
but miss each other in dimensions D>2.

This might have some deep implications. For instance, cognitive
spacetime sheets would generically intersect material
spacetime sheets in D=8 but not in D>9. D<9 maximimizes
geometric contact interactions in well defined sense.

Furthermore, two 3-surfaces in 7-dimensional lightcone
boundary delta M^4_+c xCP_3 or in a=constant hyperboloid can get
linked just as curves in 3-space get linked. Could the linking
of 3-surfaces can have any physical effects? It could if
the topological reaction destroying the linking requires
large enough energy: in this case linked 3-surface would be
confined.

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Stephen P. King wrote:

> [...]
> galaxies, R varies, by any amount however small, then space would not
> necessarily close on itself. It could, for example, bear much the same
> relationship to a 3-sphere as a helix bears to a circle. The local
> properties. The local properties of a helix of very small torsion
> would be indistinguishable from those of a circle, and the likewise the
> local properties of space might be indistinguishable from those of a
> 3-sphere.[8] But since space apparently has 'handedness,' [9] one's
> belief in its isotropy is somewhat undermined, and the 3-sphere seems a
> little less probable than it was before.
> If the variations of R are somewhat random, as suggested above, then
> space would be more analogous to a badly wound reel of cotton than to a
> helix. We are thus led to a theory of 'winding space', but I have yet
> determined whether the assumptions are mathematically self-consistent.
> Suppose that optical or radio telescopes are one day powerful enough to
> see up to a distance of 2piR (along a geodesic), that is enough to see
> 'right around the universe'. [10] If the universe is Einstein's, then,
> if we looked in various directions we would see the same part of space
> from various aspects, namely 'ourselves' 2piR/c seconds ago. But on the
> present hypothesis of winding space we would see two different parts of
> space when we looked in two opposite directions. Thus, there is some
> hope of an experimental test. But even if no test could distinguish
> Einstein's universe from 'winding space,' it would still be of
> cosmological interest that space could be infinite and yet all the
> physical consequences of Einstein's universe be valid. It would
> exemplify the well-know hazards of extrapolation from our limited
> knowledge to the universe as a whole.
> Other consequences may follow from an elaboration of the hypothesis.
> Suppose for example that out 3-space is embedded in an n-dimensional (n
> > 3) having physical meaning, just as the hyperball could have. Imagine a trip taken along a geodesic with infinite speed. After going round 'full sphere', a point would be displaced by a small distance in a direction perpendicular to ordinary space. If we imagine the process repeated indefinitely, the displaced point would perform a random walk in space of n - 3 dimensions. (This is only an approximate description since there are three independent routes around the universe.) Now there is a theorem of Poyla's [11] to the effect that if a random walk is performed on a p-dimensional lattice, with unit steps, then return to the origin infinitely often is certain if p < 3. It is true that the conditions of this theorem are not quite applicable here, but it does suggest that we need n >/= 6 in order that the hypersheets should not be packed indefinitely densely. In fact, owing to the 'independent routes around the universe', which were mentioned parenthetically above, we need to!
 t!