[time 1017] Re: [time 1013] [Fwd: Simpson's Paradox and Quantum Entanglement]

Hitoshi Kitada (hitoshi@kitada.com)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 03:52:31 +0900

Dear Robert, Stephen, et al.,

I was informed from a person in Israel (see attachment) that an idea similar to
mine is in

http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/9902035

The abstract is:

> Quantum Physics, abstract
> quant-ph/9902035
> From: Jan M Rost <rost@tqd1.physik.uni-freiburg.de>
> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:43:43 GMT (12kb)
>
> Time Dependence in Quantum Mechanics
> Authors: John S Briggs, Jan M Rost
> Comments: 7 pages, no figures
>

> It is shown that the time-dependent equations (Schr\"odinger and Dirac)
> for a quantum system can be always derived from the time-independent
> equation for the larger object of the system interacting with its
> environment, in the limit that the dynamical variables of the
> environment can be treated semiclassically. The time which describes
> the quantum evolution is then provided parametrically by the
> classical evolution of the environment variables. The method used
> is a generalization of that known for a long time in the field of
> ion-atom collisions, where it appears as a transition from the full
> quantum mechanical {\it perturbed stationary states} to the
> {impact parameter} method in which the projectile ion beam is
> treated classically.

In the paper Briggs and Rost introduce a decomposition of the total Hamiltonian
H similar to that of http://kims.ms.u-tokyo.ac.jp/time_VI.tex ; a decomposition
of H into a sum of H_S of the system S under discussion and H_E of the
environment E with a non-zero interaction term H_{ES} between them. They derive
the existence of time for the system S from the *time-independent* Schroedinger
equation (E-H) Psi = 0 for the total system. The argument is different from mine
in the point that my argument that derives the nonzero interaction is a top-down
argument from Goedel's incompleteness theorem, while they seem to derive it from
the apparent existence of time for the system S (see section IV). In this point
their argument seems circular, but the main point of their arguments is in
showing that time is a (semi-)classical notion that arises from the interaction
of the system S with the *classical* environment E, which is very similar to
mine.

In showing this, they use an " 'entangled' wave function for the complete object
composed of system and environment."

I am not sure if their usage of the word "entangled" is the same as Robert's.
But seeing their definition, the entangled state seems to be a (infinite and
convergent) sum of tensor products of vectors (wavefunctions) belonging to
Hilbert spaces HH_S and HH_E describing the interior and exterior systems S and
E. If this is the case with Robert's thought I can understand what Robert wrote
before.

Their work suggests that the investigation of time becomes within a reach of
concrete physics, i.e. one can produce papers on time as one of the usual
researches as other physical areas. The period for paradigm shift might have
ended, and a time industry seems to be starting.

Best wishes,
Hitoshi