[time 1117] Monad as local system (Re: [time 1115])

Hitoshi Kitada (hitoshi@kitada.com)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 02:19:13 +0900

Dear Lance and friends,

Thanks for your comments and opinions. Your caution on the "windowless" monads
reminded me of your mail in July 1995, whose part I will quote below.

Lancelot R. Fletcher <lance@interactive.net> wrote:

Subject: [time 1115] RE: [time 1109] Monads (Re: [time 1105])

[HK]
> > I think from these statements that, as a "simple existence"that
> > is a true atom
> > of nature, monad must not be sensible to the outside, and hence must be
> > windowless by definition.

[LRF]
> This is correct, but I think one should add that Leibniz made a particularly
> poor choice of words when he said that monads are "windowless." The reason
> is that we have a pretty good notion of what a windowless enclosure would be
> like. Hitoshi could give us a precise topological definition, but suffice
> it to say that we imagine a closed, continuous membrane with two sides, an
> inside and an outside, but no holes or channels that would allow anything to
> move from the inner surface to the outer, or vice versa. This image is a
> complete falsification of the idea of a monad, because a monad not only has
> no windows, it has no outside! What Leibniz says is that every monad
> includes the entire universe. Its finitude consists, crudely speaking, in
> its including the entire universe from a particular point of view.

[Quotation from your mail in 1995]:

[A part of a long mail of 17,423 bytes on Tue, 11 Jul 1995 19:52:52 -0500